Evolving Access: Breaking Down Accessibility Barriers in the Digital World
Keeping your online presence accessible for all users is a great way to significantly increase your profitability. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, over 56 million Americans live with some level of disability, representing over $200 billion in discretionary spending. Accessibility is key to both welcoming new customers into the fold and fostering long-term customer relationships. The more accessible your company’s digital portals are, the more inclusive and positive your customers’ overall user experience becomes. This means developing desktop and mobile applications, portals, websites, forms, and digital content that are accessible to users of all abilities.
There’s also the legal aspect of digital accessibility to consider. The Department of Justice mandates equal access to digital information and has set a deadline for meeting ADA requirements by 2018. This mandate includes meeting the guidelines set by the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.0)(link opens in new window), ADA Title III, and section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973(link opens in new window).
In addition to helping you avoid legal ramifications (including potential lawsuits), Social inclusion is the ultimate goal to strive for.
Regardless of what your products and services are, we can help you reach more potential customers and bring in more revenue by making your website accessible and at the same time, providing a more elegant and engaging customer experience for all of your customers. Our accessibility methodology comprises five key steps:
- Assessment. We perform an expert diagnostic that allows you to fully understand the level of compliance of your digital offering. We use this assessment to evaluate different solutions and provide you with concise remediation recommendations.
- Strategy. Our compliance roadmap takes into account your individual business situation, governance, and standards development. We help you prioritize the work that needs to get done, so that you can focus on making incremental progress towards your end goals for achieving accessibility and a better overall user experience.
- Remediation. We work collaboratively with your team to implement fixes identified during the Assessment phase. We then perform a post-remediation review to ensure that your organization is fully compliant with accessibility standards.
- Training. Throughout our process, we offer educational support through specialized training, including “train-the-trainer” sessions, and peer programming to familiarize your team with the ins and outs of accessibility. By sharing our knowledge (rather than simply prescribing solutions), we equip your team to be self-sufficient.
- Sustainability. It is a priority to equip you with the tools and support you need to successfully integrate a sustainable and creative digital accessibility plan into your methodology to ensure that you can continue to meet your goals long after our engagement comes to an end.